Church Buildings

First Meeting House

First Meeting House

The first Meeting House

Even before there was a church in Summertown, then a small village to the north of Oxford and just within the Parish of St Giles, there is evidence for the existence of a “small brick Dissenting Meeting House” on the site of what is now a private dwelling at 12 Middle Way. This Meeting House opened in 1824 and is shown in an undated drawing reproduced here from a photograph in the archives of the present church. Although there is no direct link it may be argued that this Meeting House is the origin from which our present church has grown.

First Congregational Chapel

First Congregational Chapel


The first Congregational Chapel

The first regular ‘Congregationalist preaching station’ in Summertown was established in 1835 in Middle Way. In 1842 some 22 members together with their minister, the Rev’d D M Evans, formed a church and a year later the foundation stone was laid for a new chapel at 11 Middle Way, almost opposite the original Meeting House. A photograph of this chapel is shown alongside.

The Present Church

The Present Church


The present Church

The present building, in the Banbury Road opposite South Parade, dates from 1893. Ruth Fasnacht records the ceremonial laying of the foundation stone on 13 June 1893. At first only the church was built, the chapel in Middle Way being retained. In 1910 a vestry and the back halls were added and the chapel in Middle Way was let to the Vicar and Churchwardens of St Michael’s until their church hall in Portland Road was opened in 1924.

Celebrating the Centenary of the present church

Celebrating the Centenary of the present church


Centenary of the present Church

A Party to celebrate the centenary of the present building was held in the garden of St Michael’s Rectory in 1993. The Bishop of Oxford was one of the guests and is shown here speaking to those present, accompanied by Donald Norwood, URC Minister at the time.


Maintained by WebMaint. Last changed 30 May 2009. © 2006, Ecumenical Parish